The Ladakh Ecological Development Group (LEDeG) is a grassroots organization that has been working in the region since 1983 towards a vision of a sustainable future for Ladakh that is built on its culture and environment. Our mission is to demonstrate ecologically sound development models and to advocate regionally appropriate development policies. For close to three decades, we have been working towards bettering the lives and livelihoods of the rural communities living in the remote villages of Ladakh and also trying to influence development policies at the regional level.
Our current thrust areas are Renewable Energy, Livelihoods and Urban Environmental Issues. Some of our ongoing projects include Installation of community based Micro-Hydro Power Units and Solar Photo-Voltaic Power Plants, Passive Solar Housing, Promotion of Solar Devices and appropriate technologies, Income Generation Projects with women’s SHGs on Handicrafts and Food Processing and Projects around urban environmental issues such as Promoting Sustainable Use and Management of Groundwater in Leh town and urban water health.
We are also in the process of designing some other exciting projects such as Solid Waste Management, Youth and Environment, Sustainable Agriculture, Climate Change and the like.
Projects we are working on currently:
- Micro-hydro projects and hydrams
- Solid waste management
- Solar power plants for remote communities
- Studies on ground water management and climate change
- Rehabilitation after 2010 floods in Ladakh
- Glacial lake survey/ investigation of glacial lake outbursts
- Health and socio-economic status at high altitudes.
- Documentation of cultural events and social practices in Ladakh.
Projects which are underway:
- Fruit processing in collaboration with Sir Dorabji TATA trust Mumbai
- Urban Water Health Leh research (URWAHL)
Projects we have completely successfully in the past:
- Sapi, Kargil Micro Hydro Power Units Project
- Developmental Intervention in Zanskar
- Promoting Passive Solar Houses in the trans-Himalayan cold desert region of Ladakh
- Installation of Improved Water Mills in Kargil
- Solar thermal solutions for space heating in Ladakh
- Flood relief and rehabilitation program in Leh
- Installation of Hydraulic Ram Pump in Rukruk
- Program for Promoting Sustainable Use and Management of Groundwater in Leh Town
- Solar power plants for village electrification
- Capacity building of the Renewable Energy Development Cooperative Society
- Installation of a 25kW Micro Hydroelectric Power Unit in Bartoo village of Kargil
- Passive solar housing project in Western Himalayas
- Livelihood Initiatives based on Apricots in Ladakh
- Learning Income Generation in the Himalayas Together (LIGHT)
- Skidmang Nunnery Community Solar Cooker Project
- Pilot Project for Improvement of Living Conditions of Structurally Disadvantaged Areas of Ladakh through Development of Village-based Micro-Enterprises
- Improvement Of People’s Livelihood In Remote And Mountainous Area Of India
- Watershed Development Programme 7th and 8th batch
- Integrated Development of Durbuk Block Using Renewable Energy Resources