While we intend to avoid the hazards of ‘development’, we do not want to put a fence around Ladakh, alienating it from change – this would be unnatural as well as impossible. Instead, we are exploring ways of guiding the direction of change in order to strengthen the local economy and raise the standards of living of our communities, while addressing ecological and environmental concerns.
With our primary mission as the promotion of ecologically and socially sustainable development which harmonises with and builds upon traditional Ladakhi culture, we have set out the following as our aims and objectives:
- To encourage awareness in the people of Ladakh about the need to consider the long-term effects and impacts of conventional development the environment, ecology and culture.
- To encourage awareness amongst the people of Ladakh about the potential value of traditional culture, agriculture and conservation for the future sustainable development of Ladakh.
- To encourage the use of perpetually renewable natural resources in Ladakh.
- To test and demonstrate low-cost technologies which make use of such perpetually renewable natural resources.
- To provide financial assistance for appropriate, community based development projects.
- To raise funds for the achievement of the objective through donations, grants, collection etc, and through the carrying on of any business, this may help to promote the above objectives,
- And to pursue the above objectives with the goal of encouraging, an ecologically sound and sustainable future for the people of Ladakh and their land.